Managing multiple apps can be a challenging task, especially when you are dealing with shared translation keys across these applications. In your localization process, it is essential to keep it as simple as possible and avoid duplication and repetitive work. Fortunately, SimpleLocalize offers a solution that simplifies this challenge by giving users the possibility to easily merge selected translation keys from one project to another. In this blog post, we will explore how you can efficiently manage shared translation keys across your projects and save valuable time and resources.
Identifying shareable translation keys
In the process of translating and localizing apps or websites, there are certain elements and texts that are often shared or similar across different apps and websites. These elements are usually part of the user interface and provide a consistent user experience. Here are some common examples:
- Menu items and navigation: Basic menu items like “Home,” “Settings,” “Profile,” and “Logout” are frequently similar across apps and websites. These labels are standard on many interfaces.
- Buttons: Common buttons such as “OK,” “Cancel,” “Save,” “Delete,” and “Submit”, “Register” tend to have consistent translations.
- Form fields and labels: Labels for form fields like “Name,” “Email,” “Password,” and “Date of Birth” are typically similar across different applications.
- Error mssages: Error messages like “Invalid email address," “Password must be at least 8 characters,” are often standardized.
- Confirmation messages: Messages like “Are you sure you want to delete this item?” and “Changes saved successfully” are commonly found and translated consistently.
When managing translations for multiple apps that share some translation keys, it can be a challenge. Manually copying and pasting these keys from one app to another or importing new ones every time can be time-consuming and prone to errors. This is where SimpleLocalize comes to the rescue.
Sharing translation keys between different projects
When you are responsible for multiple apps' localization, it's common to run across translation keys that are identical or very similar across projects. When the keys are identical, you would rather not add them manually to each project or import them every time to all the apps. Instead, you can easily merge them from one project to another. How does it work?
Each app corresponds to a project in SimpleLocalize. Therefore, you'll create separate projects for each application.
Start by importing all translation keys to one of the projects, including keys that are shared with other apps. See here how you can import your translations to SimpleLocalize.
Next, select translation keys that are also used in other apps. For that, in the Translation Editor list view, hold down the Ctrl or ⌘ key on your keyboard and select translation keys from the list. Go to Bulk Actions.
In Bulk Actions, choose Merge into another project option. Select your target project, the languages from which translations should be copied, and then confirm the merge. It's that simple!
By using the merge option, you can easily copy and update translation keys in different projects with just a few clicks. You can change translations in one main project and then transfer them to other projects to keep them all up-to-date.
By using this feature, you ensure that identical keys maintain consistency across your apps without the need for manual entry.
- SimpleLocalize will add the selected translation keys along with their translations in the chosen languages to the target project.
- All translation key details, such as descriptions and screenshots, will also be transferred.
- If a key already exists in the target project, it will be overwritten by the merge option.
Creating translation key database
Another effective way to manage shared translation keys is by creating a dedicated project that serves as your translation key database. There, you can store all translation keys and translations commonly used across various projects, using the 'Merge' option to copy them to different applications.
With this approach, you can ensure consistency and keep track of where shared translation keys are stored. You'll always know where to make changes and from where to merge them.
Instead of manually copying each key and its translations, you can transfer them effortlessly with just a few clicks. This way, you eliminate the risk of typos and translation discrepancies when copying keys manually.
Simplifying the management of multiple apps with shared translations becomes a breeze with SimpleLocalize's "Merge translation keys" feature. Say goodbye to manual copying and welcome a streamlined localization workflow. With this powerful tool at your disposal, you'll save time, reduce errors, and maintain consistency across all your apps.
Start simplifying your translation management today with SimpleLocalize. Sign up now and experience the benefits of hassle-free translation key management!